On November 24, 1827, a group of people from Berwick and Conyngham met to consider the organization of a Presbyterian Church for the area. November 25, 1827, marked the official organization of the Presbyterian Church of Berwick and Conyngham.
In 1842 the first church building was erected at the corner of Second and Vine streets and dedicated in 1843. In 1896 this building was torn down and a new building was erected on the same site.
The Gothic style building accommodates 500 worshipers in the sanctuary and has beautiful stained glass windows. The present building on Market Street was begun in 1926; it was completed and dedicated February 5, 1928. The Gothic style building accommodates 500 worshipers in the sanctuary. The large balcony stained glass window has in the central panel the Ascension scene. The chancel window has the Resurrection scene, with the Risen Christ in the central panel. The clerestory windows to the right upon entering the church depict the parables of Jesus. The clerestory windows to the left depict the miracles of our Lord Jesus Christ. The scenes in the aisle windows represent events in the life of Christ. The windows between the narthex and the main sanctuary portray the four evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. At each side entrance to the narthex is a window representing a scene in the Acts of the Apostles. In the front of the sanctuary is a picture of the crucified Christ as painted by John Thomas, a faithful member of the congregation. He presented the unique painting as a gift to the congregation in 1929.
The church organ is itself a historical masterpiece, a 1927 Moller Organ Ensemble. There are four separate organs – swell organ, great organ, echo organ, and the pedal organ.
A church history would not be complete without proper mention of the Italian Presbyterian Mission founded in 1907. The Italian congregation erected a church building in 1920. In the 1950s that congregation decided to join with the Presbyterian Church on Market Street.